June 13, 1922, Centennial Day, was reportedly sunny and pleasantly cool. At 10:00 AM a procession lined up outside the Demarest Memorial Library and marched to the tent on South Field. The Geneva Park Band led the way—as it did for commencement the day before—as delegates from nearly one hundred universities, colleges and learned societies “in their caps, gowns and hoods of many colors made a brilliant spectacle” alongside Hobart administration, faculty, students, and alumni.
The Centennial exercises that morning lasted for more than three hours. Rev. Caleb R. Stetson, the Rector of Trinity Church in New York City, began things with an invocation. Beverly Chew ’69, head of the Centennial Committee, then gave an Address of Welcome, noting “this is a proud day for Hobart College…we have invited to rejoice with us our friends, our neighbors, representatives of sister universities and colleges…” He also extended a special welcome and his gratitude to the Geneva community.
Professor Milton H. Turk next gave a Centennial Address on the history of Bishop John Henry Hobart. A series of speeches by representatives of other colleges and universities—Cornell University, Bowdoin College, the University of Rochester, the University of Michigan, and Trinity College—followed, each congratulating Hobart on its accomplishment of one-hundred years, and many speaking to the benefits of Hobart having remained a small liberal arts college rather than transition to a larger institution.