Durfee, Bartlett, and Hale
1950 saw several large-scale construction projects on campus. The barracks were demolished and three dormitories, Durfee, Bartlett, and Hale were built. The groundbreaking for the three halls was on September 13, 1950.
Built concurrently with Durfee, Bartlett, and Hale was Gulick Hall, which was originally built as a dining hall. Prior to its construction, 60% of students needed to eat off campus. In 1961, Gulick was expanded towards the quad to double its seating capacity.
Sherrill Hall and the Geneva Garden Apartments
The Geneva Garden Apartments were built at the end of Pulteney Street in 1955. They can be seen on the far left in the above photograph.
In 1959, Sherrill Hall was built on the corner of Pulteney and St. Clair in the former location of the tennis courts.
In 1964 construction began on Jackson, Potter, and Rees dormitories south of Sherrill Hall. The structure, which was not officially named until its completion in 1966, was immediately dubbed "Superdorm" by the students.
The dormitories were built to eliminate off-campus housing for all unmarried students.
Warren Hunting Smith Library
As the Colleges grew, a larger library was desperately needed. In 1974 Boswell Field was relocated further west, and construction began on the Warren Hunting Smith Library on Pulteney Street directly in line with the Bristol gymnasium.
The homes in that section of Pulteney Street had been demolished in 1966.
The library was named after Warren Hunting Smith, a longtime member of the board of trustees, benefactor of the Colleges, and grand nephew of William Smith. His book Hobart and William Smith: The History of Two Colleges is the definitive work on HWS history up to 1948.