College Offices on Pulteney Street
Between the two world wars, several college offices moved into houses located on Pulteney Street.
In 1929, the bookstore was moved from Williams Hall across Pulteney Street. The campus post office was moved to the building as well. The Hobart Herald wrote, "The new quarters are an immense improvement over the old, so much of an improvement in fact, that room has been found for the sale of cigarettes and candy aside from the flourishing sale of text books and stationery supplies."
An infirmary was created in the fall of 1937 and moved into a house behind Williams Hall.
There was also a small restaurant called the Campus Grill during the late 30s, early 40s. During one student event in Coxe Hall in the fall of 1939, waiters carried food back and forth across Pulteney Street.
In 1936 the former office building for R. G. Chase was converted into Chase Hall and housed the art and music departments. For the first time, classes which had only been available to William Smith students were available to Hobart students. The building was remodeled to contain studios, an exhibition gallery, and rehearsal space for the glee club.
St. Clair Tennis Courts
Five new tennis courts were constructed on the corner of Pulteney and St. Clair in the fall of 1930. The Hobart Herald wrote, "Old timers seeing the new courts will be tempted to reminisce about the old days when, what tennis there was, was played on courts which bore a considerable resemblance to a plowed field and which were unusable for a week after any kind of rain storm."
The courts were designed to be flooded in winter for ice skating, and they were also used for events. In the spring of 1947, the students held a "rustic dance," complete with hotdogs and a suggested dress code of dungarees.
In the summer of 1946, five barracks and a cafeteria from the Sampson Naval Base on the east side of Seneca Lake were moved to South Field to house the influx of veterans attending college on the GI Bill.